Monday 16 June 2014

Self Portrait




PERPECTIVE by Cyrus Fonseca

My self-portrait “PERSPECTIVE” is an attempt to communicate a day in my life, in the medium of video in one minute or less. I used all point-of-view shots to make the experience look like it's coming through their own eyes, in an effort to have a more personal experience for the viewer.  I filmed everything slightly shaky to show a sense of confusion, and movement.

I utilize a different lens that let me focus in and out of things quickly, because I wanted to mimic the way the eye focuses on one thing at a time, and add to the feeling of confusion and tiredness. I don't sleep a lot before school a lot of the time (it's 5am as I'm writing this) So showing this tiredness and confusion is important, due to it being a school day from my perspective. A lot of the clips in the morning contain my friends, because CyberARTS is where most of my friends are during the day, and where I’m most communicative.

I use quick jump cuts to show a fast passage of time. I do this, because I feel like school days go by very fast. I put them along the beat to “The Ocean Breathes Salty” by Modest Mouse, because I spend a lot of the day with my headphones in accompanied by Modest Mouse songs, and this one in particular I identify with greatly on a lyrical basis. It's a song about someone being sceptical, and even sarcastic about the “afterlife” and religion in general. I Identify with the opinions and ideas of the speaker in the song.

I had difficulty communicating everything I wanted to in such a short time period. If there was no time limit, this project would be 3 times as long. I ended up adapting to my time frame, and got what I needed to across in the end. I am very happy with my final result. I had a lot of fun during the filming and editing process and I feel I have learned a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment