Monday 14 January 2013

Jerry Uelsmann

When I first heard about Uelsmann's work, I wasn't too impressed. What interested me was the fact that he does all his work in the dark room.  NO PHOTOSHOP.  How he manages to blend his components to effectively amazes me.  The shadows on some of his pieces look perfect,  now it's hard to get shadows right in Photoshop, but in a dark room?

This piece is called "Untitled" and it was done in 1982. Since Uelsmann does his work in the surrealist style, it is very interpretive. The way I interoperate it is because of the roots connected to the house,  is I think it's trying to say that the house has been there  a long time because of the how long the roots actually are. The house is also abandoned and broken, which could be saying that the environment is abandoned and broken, because it's connected to roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment