Tuesday 15 January 2013

Editing Software

Instead of my regular style blog posts, I thought it would be fun to talk about the variety of editing programs I've used in the past, and my experiences with them. First let's talk about the first editing program I've ever used, Windows Movie Maker. The WMM version I'm familiar with is probably dated by now, but I remember the UI was simple, and easily understood. It was an easy program to use, and was functional enough. The problem with it though, is it's limitations. You simply can't do the same amount with WMM than you can with After Effects. I had a brief glimpse if the new(ish) UI and I hated it, but that was just my first impression.

Now let's talk about the Mac OS equivalent, IMovie. I HATE this program. The version I've been using is much older, but it's caused the most headaches. It's way over simplified, and there's all these small glitches. Let's just say this isn't my favourite program.

Moving up from IMovie, we have Final Cut Pro. This program is a HUGE improvement. it was a little prone to crashes, (I had a cracked version, so I'm not sure if that contributed) but it had so many great features. The UI was relatively easy to navigate, and easy to understand, and my version auto saved, which is a feature that should be implemented on everything. I spent a lot of time with this program, and I was impressed.

Finally let's talk about the editing program I use the most today, Sony Vegas Pro 11. I've been familiar with Sony Vegas since I first started editing, so for about 5 years. It's a bit harder to learn the Final Cut Pro, and a lot harder to learn than WMM. It's a great all around program, and probably one of my favourites. The only problem is that it's pretty prone of crashes, so you really got to remember to save. It seems like it's the closest out of any of these programs, to what I would have designed if I were to create an editing program.

As for my favourite program, it really just depends what OS you have. If you have Mac OS get Final Cut Pro X, if you have Windows get Sony Vegas Pro 11.

Now inevitably, it's time I learned After Effects. Wish me luck!

-Discord

No comments:

Post a Comment